Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sleepless Nights and Runny Noses

My children have it: the dreaded Cold.  Some colds are easy, a couple days of runny noses and they are gone before you know it.  Not this cold, it started five days ago and shows no signs of letting up.  All four of us have it, but poor Hannah has been suffering the most.  She gets very congested at night and wakes up every 1-2 hours.  In fact, the longest stretch of sleep she has gotten since the cold started was 3 hours a couple of nights ago.  That felt like heaven to me, as I am also getting up a couple of times per night with Nathan as well to use the toilet.  The only thing that seems to help Hannah has been sleeping in her car seat, which isn't ideal, but necessary to allow us all some rest.  Being more upright in the seat seems to help her drain, and she breathes easier.

The sleep deprivation is getting to me, and I do not have much of interest to type, except for this funny/sad, cold-related story.  Nathan and Hannah were both feeling quite lousy this morning.  At one point, they both had green snot pouring out of their little noses.  As I dove for Kleenex, they looked at each other and simultaneously burst into tears.  Later, after Nathan had perked up, he noticed that Hannah's nose was running again.  "Oh!  Baby!  Nose!  Hannah!  Wipe nose!" he exclaimed.  He grabbed some tissues and began wiping every inch of her little face, yet somehow magically leaving the snot intact.  He was so sweet and so proud of himself though!  What a great big brother...

2 comments:

  1. McKenna and I were talking about this post on the phone yesterday. I told her it brought back memories of the hard times of parenting because I tend to forget that part all these years later. But I do remember my Mom asking me years ago when my boys were all small, what I thought the hardest part of parenting was. I told her, "When they are sick!" So so sweet about Nathan trying to wipe his little sister's nose, but missing it. :))
    I hope you are all feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you are all feeling unwell. I recommend more chicken soup. I think I'll go make some myself. It's snowing very heavily here and it began yesterday around 6am. It's about 18" right now and supposed to continue. The cats are really taking it hard because we've had snow upon snow-the kind of thing that supposed to only happen where you are. I build a little tunnel to some big bushes where they can "get away from it all" and each other. Love, JL

    ReplyDelete