Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Grandma's Christmas Ornaments


Every year for Christmas, my grandmother gave each of my sisters and me an ornament.  It was a tradition, something we could count on without fail, as sure as the Christmas socks she gave us every Thanksgiving.  However, I am ashamed to admit that I didn't really appreciate the beautiful ornaments until I was decorating our tree this year, several months after she passed away.




I enjoyed admiring the ornaments and turning them over to read her perfect handwriting - being a 1st and 2nd grade teacher much of her adult life, she never wrote in cursive, only print - as I hung them on our tree.



I found I couldn't remember anything else she gave me in 2005, but I do know that she gave me this sweet ornament with angels on it.


This Christmas tree ornament was a gift in 1997...



and can you believe I still have this beautiful ornament given to me in 1986, when I was just 2 years old?







 In this way, I will remember my grandma year after year, proof that the smallest, simplest gifts can mean the most of all...

1 comment:

  1. Heather, I like your ornaments that your Grandma gave you. I treasure the symbols that people have left with me because they bring up such good memories, even if they are sad sometimes. I am missing my Dad this Christmas so much. He loved this time of year with all of the singing, family being close by, and the festive meals. I love all of that too. I'm so glad you started your blog. - Judy

    ReplyDelete